Sunday, June 05, 2005

The People of Night Crew!!

I have been sitting here trying to write this blog for the past 2 hours. Everytime I think of something in my head it sounds good, but then when I type it up on the screen it looks and sounds completely different. I fear that I may never get this posted tonight. Screw it! I'm just gonna type it as it comes to me and hope to god it turns out OK. So, as I've said before I was brought over to night crew. These people are a strange group of individuals. I have no idea whether it's the lack of sun light or just simple pleasures for simple minds. Either way it makes for an interesting night.

It all starts out at the mess tent where you get a bunch of marines betting to see who will down 20 mustard packet in 15 secs to chasing each other around the shop with dead camel spider just to hear someone scream like a little school girl. I'm not quite sure if this has to do with the lack of sunlight altering the mental status, or just plain simple pleasures for simple minds. The Air Frames guys have come to call this the "Retard Hour(s)". This takes place everynight somewhere between 0400 and 0700. We all know this state. It's the one where you've been up for anextended period of time , and your coming down off you second wind , and all you really care about is making it back to rack before you fall asleep on your feet, or like a bum on the bench outside the tool room.

You have to constantly watch whats going on around you for the fear that you may be the next mark in someones evil little prank. God help you if your the one caught sleeping. Learn to do it with one eye open.


I don't want everyone to think that all night crew does is screw around. They just know how to have a little bit of fun just so it doesn't seem like the never ending groundhog day. I caught some of the marines in action last night performing maintanence and what not.


I want to thank air frames fro giving up a body to be my persona ldriver all night. Sells is the man!!! He drove me around in the flight line cadillac for a good portion of the night.


This is where it all ends. The sun comes up and we the night crew must say goodnight. I have my own little photo page if you would like to see more of the pics I've been taking since I've gotten to Iraq. http://www.flickr.com/people/35722325@N00 Just click on the photos link and should take you directly to my photopage.

1 comment:

Sean Dustman said...

good to see you blogging more, nice post, remember pranks go both ways:)